5 Affordable Design Ideas for Living Rooms
Hesitant to have company because your living room needs a makeover, but you just can’t afford it? A new living room design doesn’t have to break your budget! These five ideas for living rooms will help you create a rejuvenated, affordable living room where you’ll be proud to host your next party.
- Fresh accents:It’s amazing how a few affordable living room alterations can brighten up the space.
- Mistint paint: Most home improvement stores have gallons of mistint paint at discount prices. If there’s not enough of the color you want, consider using a second color on an accent wall. You could also paint the lower half of the wall, put up a chair rail and leave a neutral color on top.
- Slipcovers: If you can’t afford a new couch, chair or loveseat, slipcovers can alter the look of your furniture for a fresh living room design.
- Throw pillows and other accents: Shop discount stores or sales to find new throw pillows, blankets, picture frames and lamps to decorate the space.
- Furniture: New furniture doesn’t have to break the bank. Consider refinishing a table that’s a little roughed up instead of buying a brand new one. Check out estate sales and auctions for affordable living room furniture. Who knows, you might even find something vintage or antique!
- Energy-efficient upgrades: Consider re-orienting the room around an energy efficient pellet stove and replacing incandescent light bulbs with new florescent bulbs.
Maybe you’re looking for more than just living room decorating ideas. If you’re leaning towards a total redesign, these more expensive options may also provide more rewards.
- Open entry-ways: Opening the living room into the kitchen or dining room makes the home feel more spacious. However, you may want a contractor for this project to make sure the wall you want to remove isn’t load-bearing. A professional contractor will also be sure to account for any electric, plumbing or heating systems in the wall.
- Flooring: Remove your old carpet and lay down hardwood, tile or affordable, easy-to-clean linoleum with eco-friendly radiant heat. Check out local discount stores and home décor shops for affordable accent rugs to warm up the space.
Financing your living room designs
Even with these affordable living room design ideas, you may be wondering how you can afford a remodel right now. Home equity loans and home equity lines of credit are designed to help you get the financing you need when you need it. Check out home renovation sites to get more design ideas for living rooms, and speak to your mortgage lender about home equity options.