According to a recent poll conducted by Consumer Reports National Research Center for ShopSmart magazine, women who use shopping loyalty cards and coupons save an average of $678 or 10% on their grocery bill each year.
Some results from the poll..
- 55% of female coupon users bought an off-brand for coupon savings
- The most common source for coupons was the weekend newspaper
- The average female coupon user collects 7 coupons and uses 4
- The average female grocery shopper spends $116 per week on groceries
- 19% of those who watch checkout scanners caught errors
Tips to reduce your grocery bill…
- Use shopper loyalty cards
- Use a weekly grocery list and only buy what is on the list
- Leave children at home when shopping for groceries
- Avoid the impulse purchases at checkout and aisle endcaps
- Use coupons
- Buy meat on sale and freeze for later use
- Save leftovers and eat for lunch
- Invest in and use a crockpot
- Organize and inventory pantry to avoid duplicate purchases
- Buy sale items in quantity
- Join warehouse club – buy sale items and avoid overspending
- Inventory freezer once a month to avoid wasting food
- Cook entrees on weekend for weekday meals to avoid eating out
Saving money on groceries is not rocket science but it does take discipline and a little planning. By planning your weekly grocery shopping, using a grocery list and coupons, you can save some real money.
What tips do you use to save money on groceries?